Not everyone is raised in a spiritual or religious background. Regardless, we all seek to connect to something greater than us. A reason to find meaning and provide evidence for our existential questions. Whatever the reason, our urge to believe in a higher power is great and powerful. Wherever we are now, whether we believe in something or not, we still hold on to certain memories.
For Christians, and perhaps even with Muslims, it’s the overwhelming peace that blankets us as we pray. It’s the joy that fills our hearts knowing that someone greater is taking care of us. That sense of calm, contentment and safety can hardly be replaced.
No matter how far life has driven us from it, our minds hold on to that memory. Why? Well, because deep down, we crave that feeling of stability and calm again. This post is for one reason: to tell you that you can have it back, minus the addiction.
There’s always hope even when it doesn’t seem like it. This hope shows up in the form of a treatment program known as Faith-Based Drug Rehab. If you grew up or have a strong spiritual conviction but have fallen into addiction, this treatment is perfect for you.
You may have a few questions you’d like answered. We went ahead and did that for you. Below are a few things you ought to know about the treatment under discussion.
What is Faith-Based Drug Rehab?
This treatment offers to treat mental and emotional concerns by focusing on the spiritual aspect of an individual. Notably, it focuses mainly on the spiritual aspect but still borrows from traditional techniques as well. Traditional techniques are used to help the patient deal with withdrawal symptoms and cravings effectively.
For instance, the patient will undergo a medical drug detox if he/she hasn’t already. Medication for the management of withdrawal symptoms will be administered as well, under supervision.
For the spiritual aspect, the group of individual therapy sessions will be attended by religious leaders as well. Their presence is crucial in helping spiritually guide the members during such sessions.
What Does Rehabilitation Focus On?
The rehabilitation’s main focus is on recovering using spiritual principles and beliefs. To help one to heal and recover, one has to be guided back to their beliefs. To better understand the treatment program, we’ve outlined what it focuses on:
- Spiritual Principles
- Techniques to Prevent A Relapse
- Equipping Patients with Coping Skills
- Dual Diagnosis and Evaluation
- Studying of The Scriptures
- Learning Spiritual Principles
Does it Work?
The next plausible question to ask is whether this treatment works. So far, it is effective. It not only caters for one’s emotional, social and spiritual health, but it also caters to one’s physical health.
It provides a safe place for like-minded individuals. In this case, it helps people that believe in a higher power bond and share freely. This common ground leaves little to no room for judgement, bias and helps foster a sense of belonging and love.
This aspect alone can help one deal with emotional issues and prevent a relapse. Feelings of shame and guilt are dispelled and the road to recovery strengthened. With this in mind, worship, prayer, reading of scripture and meditation is greatly encouraged.
Who Is It For?
This treatment is especially effective for those with strong religious beliefs. If you are one of them, then this treatment is likely to be more fulfilling. It’s not just for recovery, but to kick start your healing process and journey.
If drug and substance addiction tore you away from your faith, this treatment is for you. If your addiction tore you away from your family and other responsibilities, then sign yourself up. If you want to draw closer to God and experience a drug-free life, this one’s for you.
How to Choose One A Faith-Based Drug Rehab?
There are several such treatments available today. This reason alone can make it very difficult to choose one. Below are a few things that can help your decision-making process easier:
- Make sure that you share the same values as the treatment center
- Find one that fits into your schedule
- Do not compromise on your needs. Does the center use an approach that caters to your needs? Does it interfere with your schedule? What about your medical needs?
- Find one that fits into your existing budget – Go and take a look at the treatment center you’re thinking of joining. Do not be afraid to take a look at their amenities and ask about their treatment options. If you’re happy with what they offer, then you should join.
Do I Have To Be A Christian?
This is a commonly asked question and rightly so. No, you do not have to be a Christian to enrol into such a program. If you subscribe to any religion or believe in a higher power, you can join.
What Are The Benefits?
Other than recovery, are there any other benefits to this program? The answer is yes, and they include:
- A restoration of one’s faith in God or a higher power
- You learn how to trust and reconnect with people of a similar faith
- It will lead you back to a life that you once treasured and you’ve been longing for
- It helps reignite hope in every member’s hearts
- This treatment not only seeks to treat you as a patient. It also seeks to help you find peace, joy and contentment
- You will be equipped with the coping skills necessary for when you experience urges or cravings